Buying, selling or renting a property 

All buildings entering the market require a valid EPC before its marketed for lease, sale or rent, its is the responsibility of the agent to ensure this happens 
Public buildings and religious buildings are exempt and also any detached property less than 50m2 
The penalty for failing to make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant when selling or letting non-dwellings is fixed, in most cases, at 12.5 per cent of the rateable value of the building, with a default penalty of £750 where the formula cannot be applied. The range of penalties under this formula are set with a minimum of £500 and capped at a maximum of £5,000. In addition if you are not able to pass an EPC on to the purchaser this will prevent or delay the sale or letting of your property. 
As of 9th January 2013 there is no longer a legal requirement to provide an EPC on the sale or letting of a Listed Building. However Listed Buildings will continue to need EPCs for Green Deal Assessments and Feed-in-Tariff Applications. 
A Display Energy Certificate (DEC) is only required for buildings that are occupied by a public authority or an institution providing a public service with a total area greater than 250 sq m. A DEC shows an operational rating which conveys the actual energy used by the building as opposed to an EPC which conveys an asset rating showing the intrinsic performance of the building. 
Yes that's true as from April 2018 legislation requires all buildings to be a minimum of an E grade 
BEST compliance can review the current EPC and calculate different scenarios to show you the most economic way of achieving the grade you require 
Yes, There are a number of exceptions to the MEPS. Landlords will be eligible for an exemption in the following circumstances; Where no EPC is required for the building;Where the capital cost of improvements are not cost effective, with a seven year payback period; The cost improvements do not meet the Green Deal’s Golden Rule; Improvements would diminish the capital value by more than 5%; and,Despite reasonable efforts, the landlord cannot obtain consent from third parties. 
Whilst a Electrical Condition Inspection Report is not a legal requirement at this period in time it is the best and most efficient way of complying with the landlord and tenant act 1985 section 11 sub section (1) (B) where it states the landlord 'shall keep in repair and proper working order the installation' 
It all depends on the recommendation of the previous test, however as a rule, Domestic 10 years, Rented houses and flats 5 years, Industrial 3 years, Offices and shops 5 years and Pubs 5 years 
The most important thing to understand when purchasing a house is that a mortgage valuation is NOT a survey, its is purely for the lender, there are 4 types of survey you can choose from, stage 1 Condition report, Stage 2 Home buyer report, stage 3 Home condition survey and finally a structural survey. For more information please see homebuyers survey in our services 
We highly recommend that you do, as when it comes to end of term, and damage has been done, you need to prove the condition of the property when first let. For the sake of a small amount of money you could save up to tens of thousands of pounds worth of costs. The condition survey is your guarantee 
Yes, there is a minimum standard, Tenants can ask the council to perform The Housing Health and Safety Rating System Inspection to see if its legal to be on the market this checks 29 points on the property ranging from mould to lack of window locks, If in doubt contact B.E.S.T for assistance. 
Any new lease lasting seven years or longer must be registered with the Land Registry and have a compliant lease plan 


The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury is maintained in a safe condition. However, the Regulations do not specify what needs to be done, by whom or how frequently. But it is best practice and universally recognised as the most cost effective way to maintain appliances, it may not be law but insurance companies and fire risk assessments come down hard on this now. 
Yes, you must ensure that any gas appliances either fixed or portable and gas flues that you own and provide have regular gas safety checks. This is covered in Regulation (36) (1) of the gas safety (Installation and use) Regulations 1998 
Yes but dependent on the size, As from January the 4th 2011 any system producing an output of more than 12KW needs to have an inspection, this generally means if you have a space of over 3,000 sq ft that is air conditioned you will need an Air Conditioning Inspection 
Yes, Thorough examination of equipment must take place every 6-12 months and all should comply with the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulation (LOLER) 
In the UK it is a legal requirement for a fire risk assessment to be carried out on almost all premises where people could be working, this is under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) 1995 
Every 12 months your extinguishers should be serviced and if you employ more than 5 people this has to be written down in the fire log book along with evidence of the responsible person checking the extinguishers at a maximum of every three months 
As an employer or duty holder you are obliged under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 to carry out a risk assessment on significant risks in your workplace or business. Where there are 5 or more employees a Risk Assessment must be kept on site and fully updated ready for inspection by the overseeing bodies. 
The Equality Act 2010 states that all business will have a duty of care for reasonable adjustments to cater for Disabled access 
Building Regulations are a legal requirement that apply in England & Wales and are aimed at achieving minimum standards for most aspects of a building's construction, energy efficiency in buildings, the needs of all people, including those with disabilities, in accessing and moving around buildings. 

 About us 

BEST compliance is a multi disciplinary consultancy and as such many of our staff have the capability of carrying out multiple surveys on a single visit, this reflects in the cost, we pride ourselves at keeping our costs down so we can reflect that saving in our price to you, the client. We have vast experience in our field and carry a high client satisfaction level 
No, our background comes from an engineering side which allows us to fully understand how buildings work in reality which we find more beneficial for our clients, but our staff have worked in RICS accredited companies in the past and hold RICS accredited Degrees and follow the rules and conditions set out as a template for all our work 
Domestic, Industrial and Commercial 
We are centrally located in the Midlands for maximum scope, we have offices in Birmingham and Nottingham, see our contact page for more details. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. ACCEPT COOKIES MANAGE SETTINGS